It is a fact that most of my hangry (hungry + angry) episodes in life have been resolved by a Burrito — this Tex-Mex dish in a wrapped tortilla (on the go food), with rice filling (surely fills a Pinoy belly!), involves stretchy, gooey cheese (who doesn’t love cheese? who?!) and has flavorful meat, beans and eaten best with sour cream, salsa or guacamole is definitely a bundle of love.
Burrito filling can have various ingredients, in fact it can be anything you want it to be! but for my recipe, I’m sticking to the basics. Now let me warn you that it may seem basic but the flavor is nothing near your ordinary Burrito. My mum who has 100% Filipino palate and ONLY gets food satisfaction from traditional Filipino food dishes, is in fact in love with this recipe. So with that, I rest my case 🙂
makes 6 wraps
prep time 10 mins
cook time 30 mins
- 6 pcs Tortilla wrap (12 inches)
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 2 cups cooked rice (best to use rice from day before)
- 1 pack Taco seasoning mix
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded colby monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 whole onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- half cup Jalapeños (optional)
- for the sides: get ready-made: salsa or guacamole or sour cream
Let’s get cookin’!
- Heat pan/skillet to medium, add a tbsp of olive oil and start frying the sliced onions. Once it becomes soft and a bit translucent you can now set aside for later.
- In the same pan (with all that onion flavor), add 2 tbsp olive oil and the lean ground beef, break them up whilst cooking and when it starts to brown, add in the taco seasoning (leave just about 1 tsp for the rice later) and then add the brown sugar. Season generously with salt and pepper then mix everything well. I recommend to thoroughly cook the meat until super well done. Then set aside.
- In a pan, cook refried beans for about 3-5 minutes, mixing it well while heating through. Set aside.
- In that same pan (with all the beans left to add flavor), cook rice and make sure to break it down to pieces, add in the taco seasoning leftover about 1 tsp, add your cooked onions. Season with a little salt. Mix and set aside.
Get your tortilla wraps ready coz’ it’s Time to assemble! 🙂
Spread refried beans onto one side of the tortilla > add just enough amount of spiced rice > throw in some ground beef > go crazy with the cheese > add in jalapeños for some heat (optional) > wrap your burrito making sure the sides are folded then roll up!
Heat your pan to medium and toast burritos to perfection. Cut burritos in half, prepare your salsa and sour cream on the side and ENJOY!
2 thoughts on “Tasty Burritos”
Reblogged this on Crackling Pork Rinds.